Tag Archives: Hawaii

5 Beautiful Animals That Have Disappeared in the Last 25 Years

1. West African Black Rhinoceros 

Hunted for its horns, which are sold on the black market as aphrodisiacs in countries like China and Yemen, the last of these rhinos disappeared from Cameroon in west Africa in 2006.

2. Po’ouli

This bird, native to Maui island in Hawaii, inhabited the southwestern slope of the Haleakala volcano on the island. It wasn’t discovered until the 1970s, and immediately its numbers began to decline.

By 1997 there were only 3 left in the wild, and they were officially declared extinct in 2004.

2. Zanzibar Leopard 

The zanzibar leopard was a unique leopard species only found on the island of Zanzibar, an island off the coast of Tanzania in east Africa. As the island evolved during the 20th century, people began coming into contact with the leopards more and more.

Locals also believed that the leopards were kept by witches and actively sought to exterminate the cat. Conservation attempts in the 1990s were unsuccessful.

4. Pyrenean Ibex

This species of wild goat lived in the Iberian peninsula until being hunted to extinction in 2000. Skin samples from the last pyrenean ibex were used to clone one in 2009, but it died from lung complications shortly afterwards.

5. Golden Toad

This boldly colored toad was found high in the mountains of Costa Rica. Pollution, habitat loss, and a fungal virus all contribute to its extinction in 1989.

Advertisements

Government Adds $75 Million to NSA Budget to Avoid Future Snowdens

The House Intelligence Committee approved a new spending bill for the National Security Agency (NSA) on Thursday. Included in the new spending bill was an additional $75 million dollars to,

improve its internal security and mitigate insider threats to classified material.”

That’s pretty much as close as you can get to saying, “make sure there’s no more Ed Snowdens” without saying it outright.

Interestingly enough, the NSA had already deployed security software (purchased from the massive defense contracting corporation Raytheon) to prevent insider leaks before Edward Snowden made his revelations. However, the system had yet to be installed at the station in Hawaii that Snowden worked at due to,

the limitations of the station’s network connection back to the continental US.”

Apparently there weren’t many limitations on the station’s network connection to Wikileaks!

Read the full story here.

Texas-Sized Island of Debris Headed for the West Coast

The tsunami that hit Japan in 2011 dragged more than 5 million tons of debris into the Pacific as it receded from the island- around 70% was thought to have sunk pretty immediately around the Japanese coast. The other 30% (more than a million tons) continues to float eastward towards the California coast. This map shows the total distribution of debris as well as the giant island of densely packed debris mentioned in this article.

(click link below for full story)

Texas-Sized Island of Debris Headed for the West Coast